○Honors English Lesson Plans○
Previous Weeks' Lessons
Week of September 25-29
*Thursday morning at 8:30 is practice ACT for all juniors! Be sure computer is fully charged! Bring a calculator!
Introduce the PSAT exam.
MLA Format practice
Grab folder, spread out, and take Things I Should Know for English Class at Quia
Week of Sept. 18-22
Homecoming 2017! Every day's a Holiday!
Friday 9/20 Trojan Spirit
Homecoming: 30 minute classes
Is your resume in your folder? Take the resume quiz. Use your own resume as a resource.
Use the Resume Packet in your folder. Just don't use each other please!
Click to access the Resume Quiz at Quia.
Wednesday 9/20 Halloween
Word of the Day: APTITUDE: a natural or acquired ability or skill
Think about it: Your ATTITUDE and your APTITUDE will determine your ALTITUDE!!
•Job Shadow Follow up:
•View Job Shadow Video
•View "What Could I Do with My Life?" Video is a bit dated but still highly relevant. Listen for and make note of the 4 Questions/Issues you should ask yourself as you are considering a career. Stop at 18:00. I like this video because what you hear from the people interviewed is much like what you will hear on your job shadow! (Highlights Arts, Architecture, Communications, Law & Public Safety, STEM, and Health Science clusters. Stresses importance of examining Income, Personal Qualities, Interests, Aptitudes & Skills, Education).
•Finally, view What Should I Do with My Life: How to Find your Passion. I apologize for just a couple mildly inappropriate words. Michael Gebben is a young internet phenom who has become a famous motivational speaker. I actually learned about him through a student in my Ind. Reading class a couple of years ago. Check him out on Facebook and Twitter. (Stresses the importance of "Going All In!": Try it, do it, learn from it, find something you love to do. Going all in means job shadowing, then a college visit, doing an internship, volunteering or finding a job working in the field you are interested in.)
If you are considering a health care career at a hospital, you must fill out the Avera application also. Attach it to the job shadow application.
Revisit Resume request from last week. If you shared it with me in Google Drive, I printed it, made suggestions and put it in folder. Fix and RESAVE updated pdf to Google Drive and to Job Shadow App if you made major changes. Add the peer edit checklists.
Monday 9/18 St. Patrick's Day
Is your resume in your folder?
Please let me see resumes while Kristy is presenting so resume is ready to upload to job shadow application
Kristy Jackson here to introduce Job Shadow Program
Week of September 11-15:
View Job Shadow Video to prepare for Kristy Jackson's visit on Monday.
1. Grab your career folders. Take out the Educational Opportunities in South Dakota Booklet Mrs. Lupkes handed out on Monday. If you were absent, there are more on back counter.
2. Get a copy of the activity that will teach you how to use the book. You may work quietly on your own or with one other person on this activity. Put it in your folder when you finish.
3. This question is answered by this activity: How can I get FULL TUITION scholarship in South Dakota? You'll use this info for the activity above.
--Build Dakota Critical Needs Workforce Areas
--Dakota Corps Scholarship for Critical Needs Areas
4. After you finish the booklet activity, print a copy of your resume.
Next, pick up 2 peer edit checklists off the back counter. You will have 2 classmates edit your resume using the checklist. When the peer editors finish, staple the 2 checklists to your resume and put in folder. Make and corrections or take any suggestions they provide. Is your resume in Google Docs or Google Drive for safe keeping?
Hey! Are you thinking about a career in Construction Management, Drafting, Civil Engineering Tech, Land Surveying, Mechanical Engineering Tech?
SIGN UP NOW by clicking HERE to attend Let's Build It Technology Camp on Wednesday, September 20 from 9:00- 2:00 at Southeast!
Here is a FLYER with more info about the camp.
Get an ACTIVITY make up slip that Mrs. Renner will sign for career exploration. Lunch and a free t-shirt for all attendees!
Hey! Are you thinking about a career in Business, Accounting, Banking, Marketing, Medical Coding and other business related careers?
SIGN UP NOW by clicking HERE to attend the Business Expo Camp on Weds, Oct. 11 from 9:00-2:00 at Southeast!
Here is a FLYER with more info about the Expo. Get an ACTIVITY make up slip that Mrs. Renner will sign for career exploration.
Mrs. Lupkes will be in class today (Testing, SDMyLife, SD Educational Opportunities)
Be sure to use HER WEBSITE!
Week of September 5-8:
Mrs. Lupkes visit postponed until Tuesday due to a death in her family
Introduce resumes. Fill out this sheet as you watch
1. View: Should High School Students Have a Resume?
2. View: Tips to Keep Your Resume Out of the Trash!
3. Top 5 Common Resume Mistakes
4. Top 5 Resume Tips
5. And on the lighter side: How to Write a Resume--this one has really great tips even though it's got sort of a strange method of delivery!
6. Something YOUR generation is going to have to think about! Social Media Profiles are the New Resume
7. Social Media: The good, the bad, and the ugly
8. Looking for a job? Meet social media, your new resume
9. The New Social Resume
This video recommends OWNING your name! Here is an example. For $10, my daughter owns her name online.
10. Linked in Tutorial 1:03-7:40
View LinkedIn Profiles of recent West Central Grads . (West Central senior interns are required to create a LinkedIn profile to prepare for their future careers!)
Go over Resume Packet. Here is Resume Outline to Follow.
Create an updated resume for job shadow. Complete resume building activity.
**Writing a resume with no work experience? No worries! Look at these sites for advice:
Example 1--scroll down to First Resume Example with No Work Experience
Example 2--scroll down to High School Resume Example
**See last years' West Central junior examples.
Assignment: Rough Draft of Resume ready for Peer Edit next Thursday. Mrs. Lupkes will be here for the full class period on Tuesday.
Collaboration time for Early American Lit novel test and discussion. Go through your review activities first. Then
create a Google Doc for your group. Please put your first names in the header box. Share it with everyone in your group AND with me. The title of your document should be the name of your novel and White 3 or White 4. AS A GROUP, discuss and type a list of 10 important takeaways or "things that made me go hmmmm" from the articles that accompanied your review activities. Be sure to address the topic of RELEVANCE as you discuss the novel. Why is it one that should continue to be read?
➤ SDMyLife Activity. Log in to SDMyLife Here. Use your access card.
➤Are you a Planner, a Thinker, a Helper or a Doer? Take this Personality quiz based on "Follow Your Inner Heroes to the Work You Love." Select A or B for each question then click submit at the bottom of the page. On the next page, answer one final question at the top of the page, then provide your first name, email and stage of life to get your results. You don't have to provide real email address.
Assignment: Read your results, then send me the screen shot of your results in an email. Use Command Shift 4 to grab just a portion of the page. Your screenshot should look like this. Grab the chart and first 3 paragraphs.
➤Now complete the Assessment Reflection at Quia.
➤Please put everything back in folder and leave in bin on table
Week of August 28-
Finish from Tuesday: 4th block: 4. View Careerealism for Students
Be sure all 3 completed career assessments are in your career folder. For today's activity, you will need to use THIS Career Assessment Summary Worksheet
1. Take out your completed Sixteen Career Clusters Activity. Go to the Education Planner site and complete the brief survey to REINFORCE your top clusters. Once you hit submit, look at the results and record your top 3 clusters from THIS activity on the summary sheet. See if they match your first hand-scored survey. Then follow the links on the list of your top Career Clusters within this Education Planner site and look at some of the jobs. List a job from each of your top three clusters from THIS site.
2. Using your results from your completed South Dakota career interest survey, Go to the Exploring Occupations of Interest Page to complete the next section of the summary sheet.
3. Move on to the sheet labeled Career Interest Worksheet. Go to Your Free Career Test. Click through the 40 questions. You don't have to click right on radio button--just on the response. Please give the questions a little thought in terms of your future. Try NOT to answer "NOT interested" as many times as I did! Once you finish, complete the Career Interest Worksheet.
**Note: If you are someone who is considering a HEALTH occupation or had HEALTH SCIENCE show up as one of your top clusters, please take this HEALTH Career Test.
4. Go through SDMyLife Adventure Book
5. Put everything in your folder in THIS ORDER (click to open)
Assignment: Complete the novel tests/activities. You'll get together with others who read your book in class next week to collaborate/discuss. Everyone has 2 or 3 review activities for your early American Lit novel. Answer to the best of your ability. Then we’ll work in groups next week to collaborate and discuss, so come prepared! Read the article(s) attached to your article that deal with the RELEVANCE of this book today.
Tuesday 8/29--pick up cards on back table.
Friday's Objective: To answer the question: "Why am I here???" See Mrs. Renner's purpose on board.
We saved the activities below until everyone was here:
1. (Save until Tuesday when everyone is here!) M&M Welcome ; Outline
2. Buzz thru Class Rights and Responsibilities keynote
3. Do I have your info cards?
4. Career Folders (White 3 decorate at end of class; White 4 now)--tape SDMyLife card inside!
6. Emergency Procedures: fire, tornado, intruder
Today's Objective: Answer these questions:
A. Why is it so important to study career education?
B. What careers match up with my interests?
1. View Did You Know: Shift Happens
2. View Did you know, in 2028
3. View The Future of Work
4. View Careerealism for Students
5. Pick up all of the activities on the back counter. Start with the "Which Careers Match Your Skills" Education Planner. There are 7 boxes. Put an X in the boxes that apply to you, then circle AT LEAST 2 careers in the list that interest you.
6. Next, do the Career Cluster Interest Survey . Summarize on the bottom of pg. 6.
7. Now, fill out the South Dakota Career Interest Survey packet. Follow the instructions on the handout. When you finish, come back here and go to the Exploring Occupations of Interest Page to complete the activity.
Keep everything in your career folder. If you don't finish surveys in class, take folder with you this time, but BRING IT BACK!
DEAR: An Open Letter to High School Students about Reading
Objective: To answer the question: "Why am I here???" See Mrs. Renner's purpose on board.
1. (Save until Tuesday when everyone is here!) M&M Welcome ; Outline
2. Read: The Importance of the Junior Year ....no matter whether you are planning a 2 year degree, 4 year degree, military or the work force.
3. View: Important Reminders for Juniors--info we covered in class meeting--here for future reference
4.View: What to Expect in English 3...see walls & 4 corners of classroom
5. Class Rights and Responsibilities (view keynote with this document!) If you are absent, you will get a link to it in Google Drive.
6. Complete Student Info Card (get notecard from me)
7. Career Folders (decorate it!), Supplies
8. Emergency procedures (tornado, fire, intruder)
9. SDMyLife cards and login (new students will be added to state system this week. Thanks for your patience!) Tape card inside Career Folder!
10. Siouxland Library Cards and New App. Tape card in planner. Upload the NEW mobile app HERE
11. Remind Registration if you aren't already getting messages
Save below until Tuesday:
12. Computer Set Up (Shortcuts or Bookmarks) English folder (Mrs. Renner's page and Quia)
13. MLA format if time
14. Experiment with Airdrop-add photo (System preferences, Users and Groups, find or take photo, drag to desktop, drag to photobox)