*Update Reading Log whenever you finish and start a new book!
Magazine Monday activity
In the New York Times Upfront magazine, SKIM three then choose ONE of the articles below to read in depth:
First, we'll watch a short accompanying video for each story. AFTER you watch the video and READ the story, come and get the activity from me.
1. "Courtroom Dramas" (cheerleading, transgender bathrooms, offensive team names)
Before reading watch: The Supreme Court
2. "Saving the World's Oceans"--"There are few rules and no sheriff on the high seas."
Before reading watch: The World's Declining Coral Reefs
3. "The Forger"--the story of how a teenager forged documents that helped thousands of Jews escape the Nazis
Before reading watch: The Holocaust
Post QuickTopic HERE
Previous Days' Assignments:
**Update Reading Log whenever you finish and start a new book!
Post Journal at QuickTopic HERE
Only 30 minutes of class--1:30 dismiss for snow
Colored cards. Book talk.
Update Reading Log if you finished a book since last Friday.
At 3:20 complete Assignment: Post Journal #2 at QuickTopic HERE
View Sample Responses FIRST on Reasons for Choosing, First Impressions, or the Cover
1. Reading Folders, Course Description & Expectations, Reading Logs, Reading Journals
Tips for success in this class from 1st semester students
Becoming a productive and successful reader means understanding what KIND of reader you are! So...
2. Complete the 2 sided interest and reading survey in your folder.
3. Complete the Book & a Hug Reading Assessment in your folder. Which letter (a, b, c, d) did you answer the most? Go to the Assessment Key to figure out what kind of Reading Personality you have and then record that info on the Reading Assessment sheet. Leave that sheet in your reading folder, which will always stay in this room.
4. Complete this Book Browse Survey. After completing it, record the results on the same sheet you recorded your Reading Personality results.
Choosing books to read:
1. Ask Mrs. Kistler for suggestions!
2. If you liked a book, read other books by the same author
3. Goodreads "Best of" Lists
How I find books to read...
4. NPR Books: Orphan Train
5. NPR Books: Buffalo for the Broken Heart ( at 13:05)
Barnes and Noble or Amazon give suggestions related to a book you may have read
Go to library to find book to read! First download the Siouxland Library app!
At the end of class period, update reading log! You won't update log daily UNLESS you read a full book since the last class. Also update if you read outside of class!
Assignment: Post Journal #1 at QuickTopic HERE
**Reading Journals are like a daily quiz!! Do NOT leave the room without posting. You will post in the last 10 minutes of class. If you finish posting, you'll be expected to return to reading.